You Don’t Have to be “Perfect” All the Time – Here's What to do Instead…
How are your New Year’s resolutions going? If you’re like 82% of Americans, you’ve already broken them, but no worries!
Watch my new video on “How to Use the 51% Rule,” because it’s all about how you don’t have to be “perfect” all the time to have a fabulous, amazing, rewarding life. Isn’t that a relief?
And I think you’ll love the simple things you can do to “stay in the 51%.” Have a listen.
When I first started on my spiritual path, one of the things that I was lucky enough to figure out was what I call, the 51% Rule. Simply stated, the 51% Rule acknowledges that, with all this stuff you’re trying to do and this energy you’re trying to move, if you just stay on the path of your Journey to Happy at least 51% of the time, you’re going to have an amazing, incredible life.
You don’t have to be perfect. Sometimes you’ll be at 60%, other times at 20% – because you’re human. But, as you learn to stay in the energy of Excited Expectation a majority of the time, you’ll hit the tipping point and be over the edge.
And when that happens, you’ll have momentum on your side.
For many people, when they first start out on their spiritual path, sometimes they think, “Oh, this is going to take forever, and I’ll never be able to do all this all the time.”
And that’s right. You won’t be able to do all this all the time.
But here’s the good news. So much of all this is about taking yourself off the hook. You don’t have to be perfect all the time.
And remember, Nothing is Wrong if you aren’t perfect all the time.
If you can hold yourself in the place of feeling good at least 51% of the time, your life will start to transform dramatically. And the best part is, the percentages even out — meaning that there will be times you will be feeling at 65%, sometimes even at 85%, so even if you mainly stay in the 51-55%, you will start maintaining that vibration of wonderful, juicy, delicious joy!
The trick is to not dip back into the 49% very often. So have an arsenal of things ready to do when you start to feel yourself go into that dip. Things that kind of automatically make you feel good, or at least a little better. Things that can flip the switch into a better feeling state. That’s all it takes, just feeling a little better. Don’t expect (or demand) that you must go into total bliss and joy, just do something, ANYTHING to make yourself feel a little better.
Here are some things that work for me:
- What are you grateful for? Writing down a list of things I’m grateful for and thinking about each thing. This is actually one of the Stepping Stones I talk about my the book, keeping a Gratitude Journal.
- Pet your dog or cat. Petting my dog and feeling a huge surge of love for her always makes me feel great.
- Listen to music. Listening to certain songs that just always make me feel better. The old Johnny Nash song, “I Can See Clearly Now” does it for me every time
- Watch movies (or something else guaranteed to make you laugh). If I’m at home, there are certain movies that just crack me up and I’ll put them on and fast forward to the scenes that make me laugh out loud.
- Watch YouTube Videos. There are some videos on YouTube (usually involving babies, cats, or dogs doing something funny) that make me laugh and start to feel better.
- Meditate. Sometimes meditating (particularly a guided meditation) can make me feel great, but if I find my mind going a mile-a-minute, I stop the meditation and move onto something else (like music). If it’s not making you feel a little better right away, try something else. That’s why I recommend having an arsenal of different tactics.
- Go outside. Going outside in the sunshine and appreciating the beauty of the sun (or the stars) and how incredible and big life is, always helps me.
- Get moving. Dancing and really moving (I recommend being alone for this!). What does the bumper sticker say? Dance as if no one is watching. That really moves the energy!
What are things that work for you? Have an arsenal of things that you can use to keep you in the feel good energy most of the time.
And remember, take yourself off the hook. You don’t have to be perfect 100% of the time, you just have to get to 51% and stay there most of the time. That’s the Journey to Happy.
And if you want a more direct path to getting and staying happy – then go to SedonaRetreatGuide.com and get your complimentary copy of The Sedona Guide to Couples Retreats today.
Or if you’d like to talk to someone about doing a retreat that’s custom designed for you call us at 928/204-5988.
You can have the life AND the relationship you want – I know it.