3 Reasons To NOT Do Resolutions And What To Do Instead
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!! Oh my Goddess, it’s almost 2023!
And speaking of the New Year, here’s the vital question: How can you be happier at the end of 2023?
I stopped doing New Year’s resolutions 24 years ago. The day I decided to do that (or not do that), I felt such a huge relief. And believe it or not, that was one of the most amazing and productive years of my life.
Instead, I do something else (more on that below).
But first, as promised, here are the 3 reasons why I’m advocating you should NOT do New Year’s Resolutions:
1. They don’t work – people don’t keep them
Studies show that only 8% of Americans have stuck to their New Year’s Resolutions by 6 months out. I think it’s actually worse than that. My favorite “New Year’s Resolutions Don’t Work” story is from one of my friends who owned a restaurant in Omaha, where I used to live. They had great food and a fabulous salad bar, and over the years, they discovered that on January 2, people ate twice as much salad, because they were acting on their resolution to eat healthier and lose weight. However, by January 3 it was already back to normal, with people ordering the same amount of cheeseburgers, fries, etc. as they had before. Their resolve was only good for one day!
2. They’re so negative – they make you feel bad about yourself
Even though the resolution can be couched in positive terms, such as “I resolve to eat healthier” or “I resolve to be more organized,” what people are actually doing in these situations is going over the behavior they are telling themselves they shouldn’t be doing. “I should stop eating like a pig,” “I should stop being a couch potato.” Even thinking those things about yourself is negative and counterproductive, and doesn’t lead to change.
3. They’re too general and not specific enough – they’re not juicy
Most people are making vague and general resolutions like “I’m going to lose weight,” “I’m going to get more healthy,” “I’m going to be less stressed.” All of these are too general, not specific and not measurable. Getting more specific — “I’m going to lose 25 pounds” or “I’m going to practice yoga twice a week” — tells the brain exactly what you want to have happen and it’s measurable.
But let’s face it. The worst part of most resolutions is they just sound so boring. “I’m going to lose weight” or “I’m not going to spend so much money”… They’re boring, not fun, not juicy. That’s why they don’t work. There’s not enough juice to get you going, to get you excited, to get you to take action.
So here’s what I recommend: Set the intention to do something – ONE THING – that’s going to trip your trigger, rev you up and get you excited.
Really spend some time thinking about what is one thing you could do this year that would really make a difference in your life?
That would really make you happy?
That if you did it, you would look back at the end of the year and think, “Wow! Now that was a productive, amazing year.”
It doesn’t have to be a huge thing like achieving world peace, but it needs to be something that interests you, that excites you, that would make you think and feel differently about yourself.
The amazing thing is, that if you do something like this, it will make the usual resolutions start to fall into place. For example, let’s take something big — if you decide you want to run a marathon this year, you will accomplish the following resolutions (which happen to be the top resolutions people make). You will…
- Get healthier
- Stop smoking
- Drink less
- Probably lose weight
- Not feel like a couch potato
- Feel less stress
- Probably play fewer video games and watch less TV
- Probably spend less money on things you don’t need
- Probably make new friends
And you would do it (at least most of it) feeling happy, excited and jazzed, which, of course, is the real reason behind resolutions in the first place — to feel happier at the end of 2023 than you did at the beginning.
2022 was a difficult year for so many people. So, it probably won’t take much to have you feel happier at the end of it, so why not really jump in?
What trips your trigger? What gets you revved up? What gets your juices flowing?
Maybe a better question is: What’s holding you back? What’s preventing you from having the most amazing, incredible, fantastic year of your life?
For most people, the answers are: time, money, my job, my family, my husband, my wife, my kids…
But WHAT IF you didn’t allow for those things to hold you back this year?
The year I stopped making resolutions was the year I started coming to Sedona and doing sessions with the amazing practitioners here. I started the year unhappy, depressed, overweight, hating my work, stressed out, burned out and feeling completely stuck. I ended the year so happy I almost couldn’t see straight!
I started that year thinking and feeling that my life was a total mess. I ended the year feeling so blessed and taken care of. It’s amazing what can happen in the space of a few months.
Did this year make you happier? If it didn’t, are you going to do something about it for next year? This is the decision that is at the heart of all New Year’s resolutions — What can you do to feel happier at the end of this year?
If you want to feel happier at the end of 2023, do what I did and do a Sedona Soul Adventure. The changes and transformations that can happen are almost unbelievable. And you can do it in-Sedona or At Home, both will deliver incredible transformations for your life or your relationship.
And the amazing thing is, you won’t have to wait all year to feel better. It can happen in 3 or 4 days! And you’ll feel better, the whole rest of the year!
Speak with one of our Soul Guides – they’ll connect with you (or both of you for a Couples Retreat) and start the process of figuring out what’s holding you back, what’s causing the problems, what’s keeping you from having the life or relationship of your dreams? Then they’ll custom design a retreat that will make this the most amazing year of your life. And remember, there’s no cost or obligation and you can do the retreat either here in-Sedona or At Home.
Janet says, “My Soul Adventure was better than I could have ever imagined it to be…it gave me new life again.”
“Sedona Soul Adventures was the best thing I have ever done for myself. I had seen the emails for years and longed to go but never made the commitment. When stress was overtaking my life and getting so out of control, it was the only place I felt I could turn to. It was an act of survival to get myself balanced again. Being a mother of two young children and working full-time, I needed to take some rest and reenergize. It was better than I could have ever imagined it to be. The techniques I learned and the “AHA” moments gave me new life again. Trust me, everyone benefits with a better you. Thank you Sedona Soul Adventures.”
~ Janet B., Illinois
Did you know Sedona Soul Adventures was named
“Best of Sedona” for Retreats for 2020, 2021 & 2022 and
“Best Marriage Retreats in the US” 2017-2022?
And Bride’s Magazine named us one of the
“11 Best Couples Retreats Around the World” in 2022.
It’s because what we do gets results – call us now, let us help. As I always say, if you knew what could happen, you’d be calling right now.
Would you like to speak to someone today about doing a Soul Adventure? We’re even open on Sunday, because we’re here for you!
Remember, there’s no cost or obligation and you can
do it in-Sedona or At Home.
Call us at (928) 204-5988 or request a call from one of our
Soul Guides and they will call you.
Sedona Soul Academy Offerings
Transformational Soul Coaching Training Program
Our new program begins January 21
Would you like to become a Transformational Soul Coach? So many people are embracing coaching as a wonderful way to make a living or to enhance the work they’re doing.
Transformational Soul Coaching is a specialized form of life coaching that acknowledges and honors one’s authentic, timeless, wisest self. Soul Coaches help clients connect with their highest wisdom and authentic selves… tuning into their innate guidance for what they’re meant to do with their precious life. The results can be eye-opening and incredibly gratifying.
Discover more about how you can serve others and make the world a better place as a Transformational Soul Coach.
This is going to be an amazing, incredible 25 weeks of LIVE TRAINING from January 21 – July 8, 2023, each Saturday from 8 am -10 am PST. Get all the information here.
If you already know you want to do this fantastic program, sign up here.
Inner Journey Breathwork Retreat and Certification Program
A 6-Day Breathwork Retreat in Sedona AZ
(February 12-17, 2023) followed by 9 Online Workshops
over 4 Months
Breathwork is such a powerful, transformational process. I’ve been doing Breathwork since 1989, and because I know it’s power, it is a cornerstone of all the retreats we do here at Sedona Soul Adventures.
So many people asked us about doing Breathwork training, that we started our training program last year and it has been a resounding success. The training is so different and special because we give you so much one-on-one personalized attention — that’s why it’s limited to only 14 people. Space is filling up fast, so go here for all the information and if you already know you want to enroll, sign up today.
Is travel on your list of Intentions for 2023?
Is Egypt on your bucket list?
We have a few spots left on the Egypt and Jordan trips:
Egypt – February 20 – March 5
Jordan – March 4 – 9
Egypt – March 9 – 22
Here are the reasons you should go:
1. We’re staying at the fabulous 5 star Mena House, which is right next to the Pyramids. The Mena House is an historic, incredible hotel that is right next to the Pyramids and we were able to get it for this trip. It was originally built in the 1860’s as a hunting lodge for the British aristocracy, it’s such a phenomenal place. Here’s a photo of some of our people having breakfast there, look at the Pyramids!
2. We are on an incredible cruise ship. Cruising on the Nile for 5 nights, stopping at the Temples of Edfu and Kom Ombo along the way. Talk about luxury!
3. The exchange rate is incredible, so shopping will be extraordinary. The exchange rate is an incredible 25 to 1 right now (24.72 specifically, meaning 25 Egyptian pounds to 1 US Dollar). In the past, the rate was usually 3 to 1, so this will make the shopping absolutely incredible, especially for things like hand made rugs and jewelry.
4. This trip is perfect. I’ve been doing this trip every year since 2004. Every year we make tweaks to it and I must say, that at this point, it’s truly perfect. We see all the must see places, plus places the average tourist doesn’t see. Guardian Travel is always adding surprises, so it’s going to be amazing.
5. Seeing the Pyramids, Karnak, Abu Simbel and cruising the Nile in 5 star luxury. Seeing all these amazing places is so incredible. Staying in 5 star hotels and cruising the Nile in a 5 star cruise ship, stopping at temples along the way, is simply amazing.
6. This is a spiritual experience unlike any other. If you feel a pull toward Egypt, that means Egypt is calling you and has something in store for you. The energy in Egypt is amazing and experiencing these places is phenomenal. We have 2 hours of private time just for our group inside the Great Pyramid! I just had an email from someone who was on the trip a few years ago and she said the ceremony inside the Great Pyramid completely changed her life. And from everything that’s happened to her (all of it amazing and incredible), it obviously has! That’s what the Egypt trip does for you.
7. Absolutely everything is taken care of for you. I’ve been working with Guardian Travel since 1995 and they are such a joy. They greet us warmly at the airport and after that we don’t touch another bag for 2 weeks. They take care of everything at the hotels, for all our transportation, slipping baksheesh (tips) to the guards so we can do a meditation in a temple, all the hundreds of details that make the trip so memorable.
8. Being with other like minded seekers adds such a wonderful level to the trip.
9. Don’t worry if you don’t have someone to travel with. Our groups fall in love with each other within 48 hours and make friendships that last a lifetime.
People ask me, “Is Egypt safe?” I have been going to Egypt since 1983. The Egyptian people are some of the nicest, friendliest, warmest people I have ever met and they love Americans.
I have been taking groups to Egypt each year for 19 years (since 2004).
I was just there in February and it was absolutely wonderful and we all felt completely safe at all times.
But don’t take my word for it. Here is what some of the people from past trips had to say:
“The Return to Egypt trip was most definitely my Journey of a Lifetime!!! I have never felt more safe, secure, or well taken care of in any of my travels as I did with SSA and Guardian Travel.”
~ Linda K
“Debra, I would like to express my sincere gratitude to you for this life altering and most memorable journey to Egypt. I need to express a very important message. EGYPT IS VERY SAFE!! Not once did I ever feel I was in any danger. Our guides at Guardian Travel were wonderful.”
~ Diane S
“My visit to Egypt with Sedona Soul Adventures was absolutely amazing! I felt completely safe and taken care ofby SSA and Guardian Travel. The Egyptian people were so friendly, warm and welcoming.”
~ Diane R
If you’d like to go on one or both of these trips, you must act now!
Please note: The Jordan add-on is an add-on to either the First Egypt trip or the Second Egypt Trip, it is not a separate trip.
Watch this video to learn why the Egypt trip is so special.
Read testimonials from all the years we’ve gone to Egypt here.
If you already know you want to go, place your deposit for the Egypt trip today.
Add the Jordan and Petra Journey here.
Wishing you a week filled with new beginnings!